Friday, April 24, 2009

Laptop Sleeve { A Bit-O-Me Original! }


For Christmas I designed a lap top sleeve for Katherine’s new yellow laptop. I recently made another sleeve as a birthday gift for a friend. What I love about this blog is, that it’s a way to archive my projects so I remember how and what I've done! I thought I’d share my “pattern” hoping that one of you would be willing to give it a try! I’d like to improve upon the idea and perfect the design. Help!

To Make Your Own:
Obtain manufacturers dimensions for the laptop you are creating the sleeve for. (This sleeve was created for a red Dell XPS M1330. w 12.5, d 9.4, h 0.87 inchesw)

Add 3 to 4 inches to both the width and height of the dimensions. This is the size you should cut your fabric.
Decorative fabric (example 16.5” x 13.5”) – Cut 2
Lining fabric (example 16.5” x 13.5”) –Cut 2
Batting (example 16.5” x 13.5”) – Cut 2

For straps
Cut strips of fabric 2.5” wide. The length is up to you. My straps were 21”
Decorative fabric 2.5”x21” – Cut 2
Lining fabric 2.5”x21” – Cut 2
Fusible interfacing (to make the handles slightly stiff) 2.5”x21” – Cut 2

Iron fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the decorative strap fabric. Placing right sides together sew the decorative fabric to the lining fabric. Sew down each side, leaving both ends open. I used a 3/8” seam allowance.


Turn right side out. Press, making sure the edges are even. Top stitch both sides. Set straps to the side.

Base or sew batting to the wrong side of your sleeves decorative fabric. The batting has a tendency to stretch and move when sewing. This helps keep it in place.

Once batting is secure, place facing sides of your Decorative fabric together and sew three of the four sides together (The two long and one short) creating a bag. Use 7/8” seam allowance. Trim seams, cut corners, and turn right side out.

If you want to add a pocket to the liner now is the time to do that. Create pocket to desired size and stitch to one side of the lining fabric. Once pocket is in place, sew right sides together on three sides creating a bag. Leave this wrong side out.

Pin straps in place on the decorative fabric portion of the sleeve. Make sure you place the straps with the decorative fabric facing each other.

Once the straps are in place, side the liner bag over the decorative bag and pin together where they meet at the top edge. Begin pinning at the seams along the side making sure they match up.

Sew these two bags together using 7/8 inch seam allowance and leaving a 2.5-3” gap between two of the straps. This is where you’ll be turning everything inside out. Note: Be sure to back stitch over the straps to add strength and on either end of your opening as there will be quite a bit of tension when you turn this right side out.

Once the bag is right side out, form lining into the bag and press. (Turning the bag right side out is the harest part of this project. Don't give up. You can do it. Little by little!)

Place Hair band in the opening between the two straps. Top stitch the top edge of the bag stitching the band in place. Back stitch over it to provide strength.

Press.

I choose to top stitch the edges to give the final product a finished look. If you don’t top stitch, the bag is reversible.

Add your button and tada! Finished!

I like that the handles can also be put inside the bag, giving it a sleeve appearance.

If you are willing to test out my “pattern” please be sure to let me know how/if the instructions should be revised and improved upon. Happy sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I LOVE that! I think I could handle a sewing project like that. Easy instructions and great pictures. Thanks for sharing! ;) Darci

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...