Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Quacky Birthday Marin {The Cake}

Inspired by my Granny's book of Cut-Up Cakes, I fashioned my own duck cut up cake to mimic the duck on Marin's birthday party invitations. The eye and wing were made from Fondant. The icing is my mom's recipe. Cream cheese, powdered sugar, a splash of vanilla extract and whipped topping. Yum! This cake was made from a 10" and 12" circle baking pans. I wanted the cake board to match the invitation too, so I covered it in the fabric I used for Marin's party dress and then covered the fabric in clear contact paper. The package didn't say anything about not using it with food, but just in case, I cut pieces of wax paper to go between the cake and the board. I was happy with the end result. Mom added the duck feet sugar cookies to the base of the cake just before the party began. It made me giggle.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I love this cake you did, and am hoping to have a go at it for my little boy's first birthday. I was just wondering about the beak? Was it from left over cake from the second tin (the body) or did you make another small cake? Also, silly question... did you do a test run of this cake beforehand or just went with it on the day?
    Thank you.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Yes, the beak was made from what I cut away from the circle for the body. No test run, I just jumped in! One tip is to freeze the cake before cutting and icing it. Make it much easier and also helps keep the cake from crumbling into the icing. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have a template? looks fabulous.....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...